Our application process consists of 5 parts:
- Prerequisite Requirements
- PTCAS and UCSF Supplemental Applications
- Email Communication
- Interview Process
- Application Status
Requirements Due By Application Deadline
Prerequisite Course Requirements
Applicants should complete all prerequisite courses prior to the October 3 application deadline. No more than two prerequisites may be in progress or planned after the October 3 deadline, and they must be successfully completed by enrollment in the program.
Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS) Application
- Official Transcripts (ALL official transcripts from every US and Canadian college and university attended should be mailed directly to PTCAS by September 1.)
- Letters of Recommendation (3 letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically via the PTCAS application and at least 1 letter has to be from a licensed Physical Therapist.)
- Clinical Observation Hours (A minimum of 100 clinical observation hours should be completed under the direct supervision of a licensed Physical Therapist and verified electronically in the PTCAS application.)
- School-Specific Essay Questions
- Application Fee
UCSF Supplemental Application
Application Fee: $120 (U.S. citizen/resident); $140 (international)
All applicants must check their email accounts and junk/spam mail folders daily. Email accounts should be configured to ensure messages from the following email addresses do not get filtered into junk/spam mail folders:
Interviews are by invitation only. The interview is a required part of the application process.
All applicants are notified of their interview invitation status by email.
All applicants will be notified of their application status as soon as admissions decisions are finalized. We are well aware of how stressful this time can be for applicants, and we do everything we can to complete the process as quickly and efficiently as possible. We ask for your help at this time by not contacting us to check on your admission status and by waiting for our notification.
Final application statuses are usually emailed within two weeks after interviews.
- If you've been accepted to the DPT program, congratulations! Your notice will contain all necessary instructions for accepting or declining the offer.
- Follow the instructions provided in your offer letter to accept or decline our offer of admission offer by the date designated in the notice.
- If you accept our offer of admission, please review information for incoming students.
Wait List (Alternates)
- If you've been selected as an alternate, congratulations! Your notice will contain all necessary instructions for accepting or declining an alternate position.
- By accepting a place on the waiting list, you must complete any outstanding prerequisite requirements before the beginning of the program in early June. You must report any changes to your academic schedule for current and planned courses by emailing [email protected]
- The wait list will remain active until the first day of instruction. If your name is on the waiting list, but you are not offered admission by this day, your application will be formally denied and you will be notified by email.
- Unfortunately, it is impossible to predict how many applicants will be offered admission from the waiting list and when these offers will be made.
- We will contact you immediately if we are able to offer you a place in the entering class.
- Applicants on the waiting list are encouraged to complete the application process for financial aid if needed. The Student Financial Aid Office will award aid only to students who have been officially admitted to the program and have accepted their offer of admission; however, applying early will expedite the process. Note that financial aid is processed through UCSF only; do not apply for financial aid through San Francisco State University.
- If you are not offered admission, we thank you for the time and effort you spent on applying to our program.
- The program does not offer guidance or feedback on individual applications or interviews.
- Applicants may apply a maximum of three times to our program.
- We hope that you will continue your pursuit of a career in physical therapy.