Associate Professor, UCSF
Email: [email protected]
Mailing: UCSF, Box 0736, San Francisco, CA 94158
- BS, Kinesiological Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park 2002
- DPT, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2005
- Atlantic Fellows for Health Equity, Milken Institute School of Public Health, The George Washington University, 2018
Dr. Kennedy is an Associate Professor in the Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science. Dr. Kennedy has extensive experience addressing issues of health equity through the lens of functional movement. She leads programs providing rehabilitative care in underserved communities in the United States, the Caribbean, and West Africa. She has a keen interest in developing innovative curricular strategies that prepare students of health professions to provide effective care in community-centered programs. She is also interested in issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion the physical therapy and rehabilitation workforce globally. Dr. Kennedy has a longstanding record of professional service and is currently serving on the Board of Directors for the American Physical Therapy Association’s Academy of Physical Therapy Education, and on the American Physical Therapy Association’s Staff Work Group for Diversity and Inclusion. Additionally, she is the first PhysicalTherapist to be named Atlantic Fellow for Health Equity.
- PT 201 PT Assessment
- PT 215/216 Compassion, Accountability, Responsibility, and Excellence (CARE)
- PT 199 Global Health Elective
CLINICAL & RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Health Equity
- Physical Therapy and Global Health Systems
- Relational Leadership
- Diversity and Inclusion
Current research includes cultural and sociopolitical determinants of health, reciprocity in community-based programs, locally and abroad, as well as the impact of workforce diversity and interprofessional collaboration on health disparities. Ongoing projects include an interprofessional peer learning program in Haiti, development of the first physical therapy education program in Sierra Leone, and a pipeline program to improve inclusivity in access and success in physical therapy education in the United States.
- Magnusson D, Eisenhart M, Gorman I, Kennedy VK, Davenport T. (In Press) Adopting Population Health Frameworks in Physical Therapist Practice, Research, and Education: The Urgency of Now. Physical Therapy.
- Landry MD, Raman SR, Kennedy VK, Bettger JP, Magnusson D. (2017) Zika Virus (ZIKV), Global Public Health, Disability, and Rehabilitation: Connecting the Dots. Physical Therapy, 97(3):275-279.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Senior Fellow, Atlantic Fellows for Health Equity, 2018.
- Elected Member of the National Academies of Practice, Physical Therapy Academy 2018.
- Faculty Fellow, Spencer Center for Civic and Global Engagement, Mary Baldwin University, 2014-2016.