Assistant Clinical Professor, UCSF
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (415) 353-7598
Mailing: UCSF, Box 0736, San Francisco, CA 94143
- BS, Kinesiology, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL, 2001
- DPT, Physical Therapy, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, 2005
- Neurologic Physical Therapy residency, Marquette University/Zablocki VA Medical Center, 2012
- Physical Therapist (PT)
- Neurologic Clinical Specialist (NCS)
- Multiple Sclerosis Certified Specialist (MSCS)
Dr. Patel recently joined the UC San Francisco faculty in 2016 and currently works at the Faculty Practice at the Mission Bay campus. She is board certified as a neurologic clinical specialist by the American Physical Therapy Association. Dr. Patel also recently completed a 200-hr yoga teacher training.
Dr. Patel has a variety of experiences treating patients with neurologic diagnoses in a variety of settings that includes acute care, acute inpatient rehabilitation, VA hospital, outpatient rehab, home health. Dr. Patel views the PT profession as both a science and an art. She combines both evidence based practice with interventions and outcomes. The art helps her focus on what makes each patient unique allowing more individualized care and also brings about a creative side to how she practices. Dr. Patel has also worked as a clinical trainer for LiteGait Mobility Research.
CLINICAL & RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Community reintegration programs for people with stroke, brain injury, etc. to foster healthy lifestyles, exercise regimen, and prevention of other health issues.
- Benefits of Yoga (Asana, Pranayama, Meditation) with the neurologic population.
- New technology and devices to improve gait in people with MS, stroke, TBI, SCI, etc.