At the UCSF/SFSU Graduate Program in PT virtual Spring Symposium 2022 entitled From Evidence to Clinical Practice, students, faculty, and keynote speakers updated peers, alumni and clinicians from the community in current evidence supporting physical therapy clinical practice. The event is the culminating experience for third-year DPT students who presented their evidence-based reviews and meta analyses.
“We are here to learn from each other,” said Professor Diane Allen, PT, PhD, who introduced the event. “There are diverse topics with diverse styles of presentation and hopefully those of you who are clinicians will be able to take away something you can use either clinically or academically.”
Alumnus Karen Atlas, PT, MPT, CCRT and Jenny Moe, PT, MS, DPT, CCRT, APT, provided keynote addresses on the topic of animal therapy as a growing niche.
- The Relationship Between Range of Motion and Injury in Dancers: A Systematic Review and Meta- Analysis.-Emily Adams, DPTc and Madeline Cowan, DPTc
- For Non-Operative Cases of Acute Achilles Rupture, is Early Weight- bearing more Beneficial Than Non Weight- bearing?: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.- Kitana Bautista and Marissa Ogata
- Effectiveness of Limb Symmetry Index vs. Estimated Preinjury Capacity in Preventing Secondary ACL injury after ACLR.- Andy Wang, DPTc and Logan Marshall, DPTc
- The Effectiveness of Including Scapular and Shoulder Exercises in the Management of Lateral Elbow Tendinopathy: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.- Nicki Lunghi and Samantha Yee
- Effects of an Unstable Surface on Pain and Disability for Patients with Chronic Low Back Pain: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.- Chowyu Zhang and Tania Rojas-Gonzalez
- Mind or Matter? Can the ACL-Return to Sport after Injury Scale or Limb Symmetry Index Predict ACL Reinjury?-Rachel Spivak and Eliza Winter
- Effect of Dry Cupping Therapy on Patients with Chronic Non-Specific Neck Pain: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.- Jirael Hipol, DPTc and Ian Leung, DPTc
- Can weight training or resistive exercise significantly decrease infiltration of fat in lumbar spine musculature and improve functional outcomes?- Fahmida Faiza and Nádia Marangão de Melo Brasil
Neurology & Geriatrics
- Effects of the Mediterranean Diet on Fatigue, Disability, and Quality of Life for People with Multiple Sclerosis.- Lacy Racich and Lillie Mansfield
- Comparing Effectiveness of Telehealth and In-Person Interventions in Reducing Fall Risk in Older Adults. Mari Hercher and Tony Peng
- Racial Disparities in Discharge Disposition and Length of Stay between Black patients and Non-Hispanic White patients after Acute Traumatic Brain Injury: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.- Salma Hassan and Savannah Estes
- Effect of Heavy Resistance Training on Hip Bone Mineral Density and Lower Extremity Strength in Postmenopausal Women: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.- Amie Chien, DPTc and Ayako Ota, DPTc
- The Effectiveness of Immersive Virtual Reality on Phantom Limb Pain: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.- Megan Wong and Jamison Ly
- Is overground robotics-assisted gait training superior to conventional physical therapy treatment at improving clinical outcomes of gait in persons in the acute or subacute phases of stroke? A systematic review and meta-analysis.- Emily Applewhite and Alex Hansen
- Mulligan's Mobilization with Movement Compared to Sham or Hands-Off Interventions for the Management of Symptomatic Knee Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.- Lam Bui, DPTc
- Are TheraBands Enough? Investigating the Effect of High Intensity Resistance Training in the Frail Elderly: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.- Eric Choy, DPTc, MS, CSCS and Justin Hong, DPTc
Pediatrics & Oncology
- Supervised Physical Activity As An Adjunct to Treatment for Patients with Anorexia Nervosa: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.-Nina Mokhtarzada, DPTc and Innah Malig DPTc.
- Is Manual Lymphatic Drainage an Effective Treatment for Breast Cancer-related Lymphedema? A Systematic Review and Meta- Analysis of Randomized Control Trials. - Aristeo Lucero and Tomas Guerra
- Unmet Therapy Needs in Children with Developmental Disability in the United States.- Alejandra Roque and Mikayla Fender-Badgley
- Is Early Sport Specialization in Baseball Players Predictive of Higher Rates of Musculoskeletal Injuries and Lower Throwing Arm Function Throughout Their Playing Careers? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. - Horace Kwan, DPTc and James Salazar, DPTc
- Which Intervention Provides Better Outcomes for Cancer Related Fatigue, Aerobic or Resistance Training? Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.- Kirstyn Ormsby and Andrew Phong
Pelvic Health & Education
- The Case for Trauma-Informed Pelvic Health: Effects of Increasing Trauma Severity on Pelvic Pain and Function, A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.- Dana Jacobs, DPTc and Juliana Evans-Anfom, DPTc.
- A Comparison of Hip Strengthening Protocols and Pelvic Floor Muscle Training for Improving Pelvic Floor Muscle Strength and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.- Kristen Corsaro, DPTc and Jane Clare Vosteen, DPTc
- Effects of Exercise and Mind-Body Interventions on Pain and Quality of Life in Women with Endometriosis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis- Priscilla Chung and Victoria Cimo
- Factors that promote higher percentages of underrepresented minority (URM) students in entry-level physical therapy programs: an evidence-based review and meta-analysis.- Ashley Omwanghe and Monica Nolte
- Is patient education effective in reducing risk of diabetic foot ulceration? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.-Ahmad Hasani, DPTc and Oscar Estrada, DPTc